Friday, August 23, 2013

And Then the Bar Exam Happened and I Started Life Again

Well, it's finally over.  I finally sat for and finished the Texas Bar Exam.  All of my answers and my hopes and dreams are with the Texas Board of Law Examiners and if all goes well I will officially and finally be an attorney this November.  And if not, I'll be leaving the country to become some kind of beach bum.
This is what I packed for lunch in my hotel during the bar exam.  Hopeless foodie.

The bar exam was one of the longest and strangest journeys I've ever been on.  It literally gave meaning to the phrase "living under a rock."  I really had no idea what was going on in the outside world for three months.  But it's over and aside from several (two this week) nightmares about either the test or the results, the bar exam is a distant memory.

The next three photos are from the 4th of July and the only decent break I had over the summer.  That lovely girl is my sister.

I call this photo, "These are a few of my favorite things"



Jason and I had the traditional post-bar trip planned but he started a new job and doesn't have vacation days yet so we had to cancel it.  I'm hoping to get something together soon.  He probably deserves it more than me after putting up my crazy self all summer.

We spent a Saturday afternoon at Rahr & Sons Brewery in Fort Worth, Texas.

So I had a about 10 days off after the bar and spent them largely laying around my house and watching tv.  I had "Frat Boy Friday" the day after the exam ended and it was probably the most glorious day.  I covered up all of the windows in my living room (totally adult like), got out my extra down comforter, ordered pizza at 11am, and spent the entire day watching tv (and a 4 hour nap).  Then I slept for the next 20 hours.

Central Market had the Hatch Chile Festival, which is my absolute favorite foodie time of the year.  Jason and I binge eat hatch chilies for 2 weeks straight and then crave them for the rest of the year.

I'm back at work and that's been an entirely new adjustment in itself.  As soon as I came back, I moved from legal clerk to associate attorney (sorta).  We work about 10 hours a day and I'll be wearing full suits pretty soon.  I didn't expect it to happen so quickly, but it's kind of nice to actually feel like I may be starting to arrive in the world.  It's kind of crazy though.  One day I'm wearing pajamas and eating macaroni and cheese for lunch at 5pm and the next day I'm scheduling client meetings and working on pleadings.  I wasn't thrown into adulthood; I was catapulted.  Ha.

I've started listening to instrumental jazz music and we got a cappuccino machine at work.  Boom.  Instant adulthood status.


School started last week, and that was kind of surreal.  I have been a student for almost my entire life, and to know that I'm not going back (ever) was almost mind boggling.  But then I look at my completely free weekends and congratulate myself that its over.

Now spending my nights reading my Kindle and drinking tea instead of spending them reading textbooks or hanging out at the Dedman School of Law.

This was last Sunday.  Jason and I had a picnic at the park and then laid around in the the shade.  He took a nap and I read a book.  That alone is enough to convince me that not being a "student" is awesome.


 I'm planning on revamping my blog over the next couple weeks.  Thanks for everyone's patience over this summer and I'm very much looking forward to more frequent posting!




2 comments:

Abby said...

Congrats on finishing the bar!!!

SummerBreeze said...

Thank you so much Abby!

How are you?! I hope your summer clerkship went well!

Post a Comment