Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cook Something: Fall Feast

The first chilly day of fall arrived in Texas yesterday.  When the weather gets cold I love to crank up the oven and roast something.  There is something soul satisfying about the smell of something baking in the oven, and it's even better when it's duck.  Duck is one of my absolute favorite meats.  There is nothing quite like crispy, salty duck skin.  Duck intimidates most people because they associate it with fancy French cuisine.   However, it's really very easy.



 I can't remember where I found this recipe for roasted duck, but it honestly could not be more simple.  You liberally salt and pepper a whole duck (inside and outside).  Roast on 250 for 3 hours and then on 350 for an additional hour.  

I also roasted an entire onion in a small ramekin the whole time.  The roasting will break down the onion and make it very soft, almost like applesauce.  Jason wasn't so sure about the entire onion thing, but boy-howdy was it delicious.  I served it with a warm lemon vinaigrette.  Delicious.  You can find the full recipe and instructions here.

And the absolute. best. part. about roasting an entire duck is all of the fat that it will render.  Duck fat is the best.  The absolute best.  I could eat 10 lbs of crispy duck fat potatoes.  Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.  So naturally, I roasted some potatoes with this meal also.  I don't have the pictures of them because they were getting good and crispy while I plate the other parts of the meal, but let me tell you they were sublime. 

Back to the never ending mound of school work.  Have a lovely day all!

2 comments:

Legally Lovely said...

Oh, wow. I can't believe you made a whole duck! You are such a wonderwoman. I don't think I've ever eaten duck in my life, and here you are making it in your kitchen!

SummerBreeze said...

Thank you! You're going to give me a big head! :)

Post a Comment