Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Guerilla Baking: Banana Nut Bread

I did not go to work today.  After 10 minutes of trying to motivate myself to standup, I realized that work was a futile effort.  So after sleeping until almost 11 {cannot remember the last time I slept that I late}  I was fairly hungry.  

I have a problem with sitting still.  I'm a self described hummingbird, always fluttering around from project to project.  Even now, when I'm cuddled up in a sweatshirt, my mind keeps drifting to all of the things I could be doing instead of the marathon of Food Network/Cooking Channel that I'm watching.  Given this, it should be unsurprising that instead of eating something out of the pantry, I decided to bake something.  I've had some bananas in the freezer forever {much to Jason's chagrin} so I figured it was a good time to get rid of some of them.

This recipe is my grandmother's, and I think it makes the best banana nut bread.  I'm probably slightly biased though.  :)  I love this recipe, aside from it reminding me of my Gram Gram, because it's super easy.  In my grandmother's words, "dump it all in a big bowl and mix it up."  With so many super complicated baking recipes, it nice to have one that requires basically no skill.

Before we start, I should explain the "guerilla" part of the title.  The recipe originally calls for buttermilk and baking soda.  But if you look at my ingredients photo you should see that I don't have either of these.


If a recipe calls for buttermilk and you don't have any, you can substitute regular milk with a little vinegar added.  Simply reduce the amount of milk by 1 tablespoon and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar.

Second, baking powder can be used in place of baking soda.  There are two different approaches to the switch.  You can use triple the amount of baking powder that the recipe calls for in baking soda.  However, depending on the recipe, this can affect the overall flavor.  The second option addresses that issue.  You can use double the amount called for and eliminate the salt, because salt hinders the rising process.  I decided to just triple the amount called for.  Baked goods need salt and I didn't think 3 teaspoons would change the overall flavor.  Fortunately that gamble was correct.  

And now, I proudly present 

Gram Gram's Banana Nut Bread
Ingredients:
  • 2 bananas, mashed.  {If you have bananas that are going bad, but don't want to make bread then, simply toss them in the freezer.  When you're ready to bake, simply thaw, cut the tops off and peel.}
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup nuts {I used pecans, but use whatever kind you prefer}
  • 5 tbsp buttermilk
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract {I actually used 2, because I love vanilla}
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup oil

Instructions: Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. {I just added them in the order the ingredients are listed.}  Pour into an oil and floured loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  The bread is done when it's golden brown, the top has split, and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.  Mine actually finished baking in a little less than 1 hour; I have a gas oven, and it tends to cook quicker that electric ovens. 

And yes...I went a little heavy handed on the coating of my pan.  Opps.

Flip the loaf out onto a piece of wax paper.  That way you can easily wrap it up and store it.

Slice and serve warm with a pat of butter and a frosty cold glass of milk.  


Thanks Gram! Love you! :)

1 comment:

Abby said...

Gosh, you are just a regular Martha Stewart! (minus the cold bitchiness haha) I am seriously impressed that you were able to do the recipe without the called for ingredients. And I love banana bread!

Post a Comment