Monday, May 16, 2011

An interesting weekend...to say the least.

So after 12 hours of working on my law review packet, Jason and I decided to call it an early night on Saturday.  We were in bed watching t.v. around 10:30 when the dog started growling.
It's not an entirely uncommon thing for him to do, but it always makes me nervous that he hears something that I can't.
Which in this case, was correct.


Shortly after Dolce started growling, we hear two incredibly loud bangs...followed immediately by an alarm.
Horrified I realized it was our downstairs neighbor's house alarm.  (We live in an old home converted into a duplex.)
So I run check the backyard and Jason runs to check the front-yard and what does he see?  Two Hispanic men standing on the side driveway trying to break into our neighbors house.  They saw him and took off running.

So our quiet night turned into a deluge of phone calls: to the police, to our landlord, to our neighbors.
Followed by another round of conversations with the police and our neighbors.

They did manage to actually get into the house and steal their laptop, but things are just things.
No one was injured (including their lab puppy) so that's the important thing.

Dallas is the second most segregated city in the country, with only Chicago being worse.  So you live in a place where people look like you, dress like you, and act like you.  It lulls you into a false sense of security thinking that bad things won't happen in your neighborhood.  However, as Saturday night proved, no area is immune from crime.

I'm incredibly thankful that no one was injured, and that our neighbors only suffered a minor economic loss.  I'm glad that Jason and I were home to help prevent a full scale theft, but wished we could have completely stopped them.  And now I'm a one-man crime stoppers patrol.  :)

1 comment:

Abby said...

Wow, that is crazy! I won't embarrass myself and tell you how many times I've thought someone was breaking into my house (including calling the police on a phantom burglar!) Glad you were there to stop anything too bad from happening.

Post a Comment