Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Last of the Halloween crafts, for now at least.



What happens when you're terrible at geometry and too lazy to figure out how much fabric you need for a project?  You end up with ridiculous amounts of extra purple felt.  But, I'm in law school, and no one said lawyers needed to know how to do math, so I'm not concerned.  However, I did need to figure out what to do with all of that extra felt.  I never liked those plastic pumpkins everyone used for trick-or-treating.  Personalized Halloween tote bags are way more fun anyway, and were a perfect way to use the extra felt.

To make the bag, I basically traced the sides of a reusable shopping bag I had.  I sewed each of the body pieces together to make a cylinder.  Then I pinned and sewed the rectangle base to the cylinder to give the bag the actual rectangle shape.  For the handles, I simply sewed some green felt into a tube, turned it seam side in, ironed flat, and attached to the top of the bag.  Sewing the bags took about 25 minutes each.

To attach the candy corn and the names, I simply followed the same process as the Trick of Treat Pillows.  I decided to change the girl's names to white though, so they'd show up better.

And presto!  A simple cure to those humdrum plastic pumpkins and the mound of purple felt laying around my apartment!

Best news is that candy corn is their favorite candy, and I didn't even know it!  Make the bags all the more sweet!  And  in case you're wondering, those are the same girls who I painted signs for earlier this year.  What can I say, I don't have children, so I borrow my co-worker's for craft projects.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment